Tales From The Tent: Day 35/36-Taking Out The Trash

My fellow Crazies, after a long wait it is finally that time of year- it’s tenting season. I will be bringing you a step by step account of my tenting experience for the next six weeks to give you an inside look at the most sacred tradition at Duke University- tenting.

36 days down
6 to go
12 first year students
1 dream

We were through to white tenting, hadn’t missed any tent checks, so it was all smooth sailing from here on out…right? Not exactly. We had seen weather over 70 degrees and under 20 degrees, bright sunny afternoons and cold snowy nights, but lo and behold we had one more weather related issue to survive. In the middle of the afternoon the line monitors informed us that we would receive a full night’s grace for the second time during white tenting due to extremely high winds and a tornado warning. Winds that evening would gust up to 60 mph, so it was probably a good idea not to have anybody out in K-Ville. But not only was nobody to be out in K-Ville that night, but neither were our tents. The line monitors strongly suggested that we all take our tents down, so for our tent’s safety we decided we would oblige them.

As a typical busy Friday afternoon at Duke drew to a close, we struggled to gather enough people to break down our tent. As the hours ticked by, our window of opportunity was quickly closing. The skies were gray and ominous, and as the storm moved closer to campus we decided we just needed to do what we could to get everything down. A couple members of my tent ran to K-Ville to try and beat the storm while I raced back from an off-campus errand to meet them. As I got there the skies looked as though they were about to open up, and I thought we had failed. I called them on the phone as I was parking the car behind Cameron Indoor Stadium and told them I was just pulling up. They said they had gotten the tent broken down, but everything was outside. I tried to extend my car rental so we could load everything up inside and take it back to East Campus, but no more rentals were available.  I rushed down to K-Ville just to see what still needed to be cleaned up. I couldn’t believe what I saw.

A truly creepy sight for any Crazie. (photo property of Crazie-Talk)

First of all, K-Ville itself was a barren wasteland. Nearly all the tents were had been dismantled, and the barren patch of pallets and tarps looked like some sort of a graveyard. As I turned the corner towards my tent, the winds picked up and it looked like it was about to start raining. I had no idea what we were going to do with all of our personal belongings. Then I looked up and saw why they had hung up the phone so abruptly. If you don’t remember from one of my first postsabout our setup in K-Ville, my tentmate Nathan Brody has served as our resident Boy Scout throughout this process. His experience has been vital in the setup and maintenance of our tent structure. Now as you know, a good Boy Scout is always prepared, but I don’t think even he was prepared for what we were about to do.

Best. Idea. Ever. (photo property of Crazie-Talk)

When I looked up I saw three trash cans sitting outside of our tent. As I approached the tent I watched in disbelief as my tentmates took all of our personal belongings and stuffed them inside the trash cans. I know this sounds a bit unsanitary, but don’t worry, the bags inside them were completely fresh and had not been used. As we raced against Mother Nature to get everything inside the trash cans, it looked as though we might actually be able to squeeze everything in. Then as soon as the last lid was shut, the rains began. We had beaten the storm, but the storm was about to beat us.

Nothing can describe this but "an experience" (photo property of Crazie-Talk)

So we began our epic journey through West Campus in the rain with three of K-Ville’s trash cans. As we trudged down the stairs out of K-Ville, the rain began to pick up into a consistent drizzle. By the time we crossed Towerview Drive, it was pouring. Once we were under the first archway, it was torrential. All of our stuff was fine inside the trash cans, but by the time we made it to the main quad we were absolutely soaked. We decided that instead of trying to explain our way onto a bus with three trash cans, it would be smarter to take the trash cans to our fraternity’s section and leave it there. One ridiculous half hour after coming up with a genius plan, our belongings were safe and dry in Few Quad.

Our tent in majestic flight the morning after (photo property of Crazie-Talk)

The next day after Duke had capped off an exciting win against Virginia Tech, we it was time to set up shop one last time. We were lucky we got there when we did, because despite being staked into the ground our tent had almost blown away over night. That’s right- the wind ripped six stakes clean out of the ground. At first it was only me with one other person, but the wind was still not cooperating with us. We struggled to resurrect the tent, but every time we were close to getting it up, remnants of the winds from last night would roll through K-Ville and cave the tent in. After about 45 minutes of failure, we called in a few reinforcements, and after about another half hour of struggling with the forces of nature we were finally able to stake our tent down.

With the Carolina game looming just one week away, it was time for the home stretch. We are ready.

Be sure to check out the rest of Dan’s tenting diary! Links galore below:

Pre-tenting: It Begins
Day 1: Welcome to K-Ville
Day 2: From Dusk ‘Til Dawn
Day 4/5: Into The Storm
Day 7: Losing Momentum
Day 9: The Other Side of Duke Basketball
Day 12/13/14: You Win Some, You Lose Some
Day 15: The First Taste
Day 18: Insanity
Day 26: When One Comeback Isn’t Enough
Day 29/30: I’ve Been Dreaming Of A White Tenting
Day 35/36: Taking Out The Trash
Day 40: It Gets Personal
Day 41: One Force, One Fight
Day 42: Go To Hell Carolina